Debian package

Roland Dreier roland.dreier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:18:48 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Jef Driesen <jefdriesen at telenet.be> wrote:
> Just to confirm what Dirk already said. Everything on the release-0.3 branch
> will be fully backwards compatible with the v0.3.0 release. Only pure
> bugfixes will go in that branch. No changes in API or ABI are allowed!

I guess the last thing that would make libdivecomputer packaging
friendly would be to use the soname to indicate when ABI changes;
right now as far as I can see the 0.3.0 release just creates
libdivecomputer.so.0.0.0 and libdivecomputer.so.0 (which is fine if
this is the first version that cares about ABI).  The Debian policy
has the following to say about library versions:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html (and the
libtool manual is perhaps useful as well:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Versioning)

In a nutshell, if I have libdivecomputer0 installed with soname 0,
then anthing that depends on that library should keep working no
matter how I upgrade to newer versions of libdivecomputer0.  Anything
that breaks ABI should have a new soname (ie become libdivecomputer1).

Unfortunately this may already be broken in Debian, since the
libdivecomputer0 package already in the archive looks to be fairly
old.

 - R.