Debian package

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Thu Feb 21 00:45:52 PST 2013

On 2013-02-20 16:41, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Jef Driesen wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what's the best way to handle this. If I would enable
>>> the libtool version mechanism, then basically every release will
>>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> bump the soname. I don't know if that actually helps or not.
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> I think that's the best compromise for now.  So we'll have:
>>
>> 	libdivecomputer1
>> 	libdivecomputer2
>> 	libdivecomputer3
>
> So we are calling v0.3 libdivecomputer1?

How about using the libtool "-release 0.x" option? If I interpret the
libtool documentation correctly, then the soname will become
"libdivecomputer-0.x.so". Thus each release will get a different soname.
The distro package can be named similarly. The libtool documentation
even says: "In general, you should only use -release for
package-internal libraries or for ones whose interfaces change very
frequently." So I think this applies to libdivecomputer.

When we eventually arrive at v1.0, we can drop the -release option
again and switch back to using the -version-info option. I realize the
soname would again become libdivecomputer.so.0, but I assume that by
that time all the current v0.x releases are likely obsolete and
unmaintained. If not, we can always start with libdivecomputer.so.1
instead.

Jef