Bug in User Manual

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Feb 22 07:34:33 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Jef Driesen <jefdriesen at telenet.be> wrote:

> The DR5/DRX shows up as a filesystem on the host PC, and the dives are
> available as UDDF files.

Ugh. Is this another "fake FAT filesystem" like the Uemis Zurich?
People really get too clever sometimes, and getting fake FAT
filesystem right can be really really hard.

Of course, maybe it's a *real* FAT filesystem, which would be easier
to do but sounds very fragile. Or it's another filesystem altogether,
more amenable for faking. Has anybody tried it?

I'd love to see an example file. UDDF is one of the ugliest xml
formats out there (with millions of strange and very specific tags for
insane annotations), but we have some very rudimentary support for
parsing it. And we'd need to do something like the Uemis device
discovery thing to make it easy to import, so we'd need help from
somebody with an actual device to make it really work well.

                  Linus