sample UDDF file

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Feb 22 08:12:35 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at gmx.li> wrote:

> Miika, I've been able to find real DR5 log data from a unit I tested
> some time ago. This is the complete logdata subdirectory. Warning: This
> has for sure not been the newest firmware on the DR5.

Ok, we do a reasonable job of importing the bulk of this, apart from
not importing the date at all. The UDDF designers were f*cking morons,
and have the classical over-use of xml that you find from people who
take xml too seriously. So the date is in this lovely format:

</date>

which is just disgusting. This is in *despite* the fact that UDDF
specifies ISO 8601 time format:

    http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v300/en/datetime.html

which is also a particularly disgusting and unreadable format.

They also have temperatures in Kelvin, and percentages are shown as
the proper pure fractions (<o2>0.210</o2>). It's very much about
making XML be machine-readable but not human-sensible. Very proper,
very SI, very stupid.

UDDF probably is my least favorite divelog format ever. But it is very
German: "technically correct, very complicated, and very much
engineered".

"Ve haf vays of making your eyes bleed"

                 Linus