Suggestions for a few planner features

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Feb 23 11:49:59 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 5:34 AM, Krzysztof Arentowicz
<karent.bug at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. it should be possible to configure last deco stop depth.

So I can only say that our biggest issue with features like this is
not that they are hard to do in the calculations, but that the $%!#
GUI elements for doing it are a huge pain. Part of it is just coming
up with a good-looking layout, but a big part of it is also just the
pain of hooking up the gtk code to make it happen.

Which is why Dirk and I have often asked if there are any gtk people
around.. Not that you actually need to be an expert in any way, I can
pretty much guarantee that even if you just know enough to hook up the
GUI - but then don't know the planning code well enough to make it
*do* anything, we can easily do the planning part.

So if somebody sends a patch that creates the GUI elements, and the
GUI looks good, you don't need to worry about the actual planning
part. We've got multiple people who can do that. We do *not* have
people who are good at GUI design and like mucking around with the
proper widgets to make it look good.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that I suspect Dirk
will back me up.

        Linus