So, did the Subsurface 3.0 announcement start a download frenzy?

Jan Schubert Jan.Schubert at GMX.li
Sun Feb 24 02:31:42 PST 2013

On 24.02.2013 01:32, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering whether the different efforts to make
> the public aware of Subsurface 3.0 succeeded in sparking a
> download frenzy - Dirk, you probably noticed some spike in
> web-access / download counters?

Interesting discussion, I'd like to open a talk about the website and
SEO and user attracting stuff in general.

Dirk, would it be possible and transparent for an OSS project to set up
public web access/analyzer statistics!? A simple awstats or something
like this should do. If you like or if you have already it might be an
option not to feed it to public in general but to people in here
interested in (count me and most likely Lutz in please).

I'd be interessted to see how public announcement affects accesses to
the website. You mentioned country statistics several time in here. Also
Operating Systems would be interested in my humble opinion.

Personally I'd also like to see some Referrer statistics knowing where
the people are coming from. Arno f.i. told me he found us by a link on
the Heinrichs Weikamp website which is something I did not have in mind.

And as you (Dirk) seem to enhance the webiste itself at the moment
(multi language, right frame on all pages, ...) it would also be nice to
include some common social network stuff for Google+ and Facebook. I'm
really impressed how active, widespread and viral the G+ communication
is while (the still new) Facebook page is still sort of waking up. I'd
not have expected it this extreme. Seeing the "ripples" [1] in G+ is
really impressive and we should really thank Linus being such a strong
supporter on G+ :-).

//Jan

[1]
https://plus.google.com/ripple/details?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsubsurface.hohndel.org%2F2013%2F02%2Fsubsurface-3-0-has-been-released%2F&context=z12rh3rjrnapupfh104cfrbq0rnrutoiswc0k