Suggestions for a few planner features

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Sun Feb 24 11:25:24 PST 2013

On 24-02-13 11:43, Robert C. Helling wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2013, at 9:47 PM, Robert C. Helling wrote:
>
>> But learning to use GTK has been on my 'things I would like to learn'-list for several years now.
>
> BTW have you ever thought of using graphical tools like glade
> http://glade.gnome.org ?

I think using glade (or a similar tool) and GtkBuilder is almost unavoidable
once the UI becomes a bit more complex. If the layout is defined in the code,
which is the case today, it's very difficult to change it. But if the UI is
created in glade and the ui file dynamically loaded, then you easily adjust the
UI without needing any coding skills (e.g. no recompilation needed as long as
the names of the important widgets aren't changed).

In a nutshell, you use glade to create a ui file. To each widget you assign a
unique name. At runtime, you load this ui file using GtkBuilder, and then
retrieve the widgets you need in the code using their unique name. From there
one everything remains the same.

The fact that you can immediately see the result in a tool like glade makes it a
lot easier to create nice ui's. Prototyping becomes a lot easier, because you
simply move around widgets, and change layout without having to touch the code.

Definitely a +1 from me!

http://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/GtkBuilder.html
http://www.micahcarrick.com/gtk-glade-tutorial-part-1.html

Jef