3.0 testing priorities

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 24 14:56:10 PST 2013

On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:46 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at gmx.li> wrote:
>> On 24.02.2013 23:20, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> After git pull; make clean; make.   ?
>>
>> Oh, clean? After cleaning I get -25, before -16!?
>
> The version string is compiled in. And we do not have a dependency on
> it changing.

So for the shell and Makefile magicians out there… how hard would it be to have a rule that says "if the content of this file is different from that file, copy this file to that file and recompile gtk-gui.o"? Then we could start by always running the version script redirected into a file, do the comparison with the backup and automagically do the right thing. Only I have no idea how to do that :-)