3.0 testing priorities

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 04:49:00 PST 2013

On 25 February 2013 10:05, Amit Chaudhuri <amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Testing OS X
>
> Deleted all previous applications (drag to trash).
>
> Confirmed I have the latest ( - 26 - sha etc)
>
> Started to test various basic menu options.  Response times are pretty
> rubbish...
>
> On Linux (admittedly half decent 64 bit desktop machine) menu responses are
> immediate.  On the Mac Book Pro, they are so slow I'm thinking "this app is
> going to drive me nuts"....
>
> Returning to the app on subsequent tests things seem to get a bit snappier.
> It's as if the first time it runs something it really can't be bothered but
> then it learns how to go a bit quicker.  But these are things I'd expect to
> happen really fast.

well GTK is a layer on top of the Windows and OSX native API, so with
abstraction there should be a a slight performance drop, but noting
that noticeable on a multi-core.
also involved are the internal ways GTK handles signals, layouts
updates and invalidation. on Windows i started noticing some slight
visual glitching related to the selection cursor hacks we are doing,
but i don't think it will affect the end user much.

given you mention a laptop designed for OSX , things should be quite
snappy on that with GTK, or least this is the first ever report
related to a performance issue, if i recall.
perhaps something on your end.

> The map widget seems to come up fast.  The about dialog not so.  Planner
> also rather sluggish.  Does gtk on mac go around the houses somehow? And
> does the map widget by pass this stuff?

that's surprising considering the widget is quite "incomplete" (trying
_really_ hard to structure the sentence in a polite way here).
on the visual/performance side, a personal annoyance is the obvious
lack of off-screen rendering for the OSD.

> To test the web service, do I need some sort of id?

a "Get UID" button that opens the browser for the user to register
might not be a bad idea.
i can add that if requested. does anyone think this is a good addition?

lubomir