Test your make-fu (update Makefile to maintain a version.h file)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 26 07:49:12 PST 2013

On Feb 26, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>>
>> well, i find no need to use an unix shell where it's not needed,
>
> Not needed?  Do you mean you would like to rewrite the subsurface main
> Makefile to avoid using a *nix shell and use only make buildins?

Umm - unless that miraculously makes it easier to read (which I am
somewhat doubtful of, to say the least) that patch may not make it in.

>> but also GNU Make works without it and same goes for tools like
>> grep. such software should not be bound to a shell.
>
> Well, I happen to disagree.  Don't forget, the Makefile must also be
> easily maintainable.

Yes. And it drives me batshit crazy that Ubuntu ships a retarded shell
as /bin/sh - I am not interested in catering to a build environment that
has no shell.

>> the default Subsurface Makefile seems to depend on bash (or bash like
>> shells),

I don't think that's true - we build on Ubuntu. Cristian has done a
very good job in making SURE that we do fine on non-bash shells

> Well, maybe the other way around. Bash is a posix-like shell, with
> it's own extensions (so called bashisms).  From `man 1 bash':
>
> 	Bash is intended to be a conformant implementation of the Shell
> 	and Utilities portion of the IEEE POSIX specification (IEEE
> 	Standard 1003.1).  Bash can be configured to be POSIX-conformant
> 	by default.

And we should target a Posix shell. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyway - what I was hoping for was a patch to Subsurface's Makefile
that would do the version magic whenever git describe changes. But
I guess I'll release 3.0.1 without that. It certainly isn't a user visible part,
anyway.