Test your make-fu (update Makefile to maintain a version.h file)

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 08:54:42 PST 2013

On 26 February 2013 17:36, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn
<cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>>
>> well, i find no need to use an unix shell where it's not needed,
>
> Not needed?  Do you mean you would like to rewrite the subsurface main
> Makefile to avoid using a *nix shell and use only make buildins?
>
>> but also GNU Make works without it and same goes for tools like
>> grep. such software should not be bound to a shell.
>
> Well, I happen to disagree.  Don't forget, the Makefile must also be
> easily maintainable.
>
>> the default Subsurface Makefile seems to depend on bash (or bash like
>> shells),
>
> Well, maybe the other way around. Bash is a posix-like shell, with
> it's own extensions (so called bashisms).  From `man 1 bash':
>
>         Bash is intended to be a conformant implementation of the Shell
>         and Utilities portion of the IEEE POSIX specification (IEEE
>         Standard 1003.1).  Bash can be configured to be POSIX-conformant
>         by default.
>
>> so the addition discussed in this thread would probably follow that
>> as well.
>
> Now I feel a bit lost again.  To be or not to be.  Shell fragments in
> Makefiles or no shell fragments in Makefiles?
>
>> my example (of make-fu written in 30minutes) is for something i will
>> use for my own needs for the native Windows build, were bash is also
>> available in fact. :-).
>
> Great, so what's the point then?  Academic?

it must be something like the full moon outside or someone farting in
china. i think both you and dirk misunderstood me.
where did i write that i want to change the default Makefile to a
non-POSIX thing?
this has to be a waste of time...

anyway, hopefully your version makes it it.

what happened here:
- started a new thread with a silly / provocative, but with a good intention
- wrote an ugly Makefile for the native Windows build (that i will
use) and yes i did want to provoke people to write a better one. that
was pretty obvious to a 5y/o...
- wrote some comments why i did the Makefile in such a way, so that it
complies with the native Windows shell (which is apparently
misunderstood here)
- someone shows in and is touchy about my Unix / POSIX shell comments,
which is irrelevant to the thread itself

good times.

lubomir