Test your make-fu (update Makefile to maintain a version.h file)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 26 09:02:23 PST 2013

"Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> writes:
>> Great, so what's the point then?  Academic?
>
> it must be something like the full moon outside or someone farting in
> china. i think both you and dirk misunderstood me.
> where did i write that i want to change the default Makefile to a
> non-POSIX thing?
> this has to be a waste of time...

Sorry about that. I really do not want to waste your time.

> anyway, hopefully your version makes it it.
>
> what happened here:
> - started a new thread with a silly / provocative, but with a good intention
> - wrote an ugly Makefile for the native Windows build (that i will
> use) and yes i did want to provoke people to write a better one. that
> was pretty obvious to a 5y/o...

But as a parent of little kids (ok, my twin are now 8) I will tell you
that what is totally obvious to a 5y/o often is not obvious to the
average software engineer...

> - wrote some comments why i did the Makefile in such a way, so that it
> complies with the native Windows shell (which is apparently
> misunderstood here)

Yes - I think we missed that part

> - someone shows in and is touchy about my Unix / POSIX shell comments,
> which is irrelevant to the thread itself

I think both Cristian and I thought you were suggesting to change the
main Makefile of Subsurface. And we both got a bit defensive about that.

Sorry from my side. Clearly didn't get what you were trying to say.