[BUG] GTimeZone broken on Windows

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 27 08:05:14 PST 2013

"Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> writes:

> from the thread:
> Bulding 3.0.1 Under Ubuntu 10.04 i386
>
> On 27 February 2013 16:54, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> do we really need GTimeZone or can it be written with plain C and <time.h>?
>> i never understood at 100% what those time zone offset actually do
>> (even if i sent a patch for that part exactly).
>
> there has to be a way to avoid GTimeZone and write our own version?

That is a MASSIVE undertaking. Time zones are insanely complicated and
annoying. And they change all the time. I'd much rather find a library
that is out there, is maintained, and works.

>> issues with GTimeZone:
>> - as this thread shows it has portability issues with older glib

As I said before. Too bad. Get a recent OS.

>> - i don't think these worked on Windows, last time i've checked. need
>> to re-check.
>>

> yep, confirmed broken on windows. :( here is how i tested it:
> - my current time is 17:08
> - start planner
> - leave start time at +60min
> - add one planner row
> - resulted dive starts at 16:08 instead of 18:08

It appears that some versions of glib were broken on Windows:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2013-January/msg04196.html

>> anyone tested if the planner timings are ok on OSX?
>
> the OSX question remains.

Hard to test. It works for MY timezone - but it may as well be broken
for yours. I actually tested the Windows code at some point and that
worked for me (tm) but that may also be history by now.