Bulding 3.0.1 Under Ubuntu 10.04 i386

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Thu Feb 28 07:17:43 PST 2013

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> When I cut 3.0.1 I didn't realize that our Ubuntu .deb files would
> possibly be built on Ubuntu 10.4. So 3.0.1 doesn't compile on 10.4
> and if that is indeed the desired build platform then I'll need to
> do a 3.0.2 -

I think that would be a good idea, but more work for you :(  Try to
find a good balance, Dirk ;)

The advantage with 3.0.2 would be to install on debian squeeze, ubuntu
10.04 and the like (at least 2 archs, i386 and amd64).

Disadvantage is you'll need to build 2 more packages (at least) for
next debian stable (wheezy) and possibly ubuntu 12.4 or 12.10, as (at
least) the glib and gtk libraries differ?

> I don't think having binaries built on random git versions is a
> smart idea.

There's room for that too, depending on how much entertainment you
want to get ;)  Debian has two other package repositories: unstable
(aka sid) and experimental.  Bleeding edge goes to experimental.

> That said - can a Ubuntu 12.4 or 12.10 system install / run those
> binaries? Because while I can understand that you want to stay on
> 10.4 - most users will be on 12.04 or 12.10?

YMMV.

Cheers,

--
Cristian