Bulding 3.0.1 Under Ubuntu 10.04 i386

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Thu Feb 28 09:57:39 PST 2013

On 02/28/2013 06:47 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Ok, if I find some spare time, I'll create a "universal Subsurface binary"
>> that will just include the stuff it depends on, and will not require
>> root rights to install (which is another absurd consequence of many
>> binary packaging policies).
>
> True. I wonder (given the oddities of Gtk) if there would be issues, though.

It might be that one or the other library is not prepared to
be linkable statically, but that can be addressed by providing
a directory with the required libs and a start script that
sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.

> Also, this would of course be a much bigger binary and it would waste
> virtual memory (imagine every binary you run was built that way)…

That might have been an issue when i286 was new and 640kB "ought to be
enough for everyone".

Today, my < 1000 € notebook has 10GB RAM (and no swap space configured), and
> # du -sh /usr/bin
> 266M    /usr/bin
> # du -sh /usr/lib64
> 1.1G    /usr/lib64
even if every binary and every library was in memory at the same
time, that still wouldn't matter too much.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg