Debian / Ubuntu packages [was: Re: Bulding 3.0.1 Under Ubuntu 10.04 i386]

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 13:14:59 PST 2013

On 28 February 2013 22:48, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2013, at 12:03 PM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
>>> And for those I try to make their lives easier.
>>
>> Of course.  Where do you get all that energy from?  I'm impressed.
>> Really.
>
> Actually, I just decided to give up. This is an utter waste of my time.
>
> Whatever. Someone who cares may or may not do this at some point.
> And I may or may not end up caring enough to link to it from our web page.
>
> I have binary packages for the distributions were maintainers stepped up
> and cared enough and I'm linking to them. I'll ask other users to file a
> bug with their distro of choice (or switch to a distro that cares).

i think this is probably a wise decision,
as trying to maintain something similar to what is currently
distributed on OSX and Windows, would a massive task, i think.

IMHO there no point on attempting on static linking (GTK is really
designed for that anyway) or using something like RPATH.
it's not as simple, because all the libraries on a certain
distribution could be configured in a completely different (root
dependent) fashion on another distribution.
so even if it runs in terms of ELF and architecture it will probably
fail at /etc/ or somewhere else.

i just got a Debian 6.0.4 compiled binary to run on Ubuntu 12.04, but
there are some serious issues, which cannot be solved without further
user interaction.
the other way around simply throws a random SEGFAULT, somewhere near
libxcb, which is pretty (hard)core for a GDB target.
http://i45.tinypic.com/jh5xed.jpg

it cold work between distro A and B, but not for C. then once B is
updated it may stop working there as well...and so on.

just my 2c

lubomir.