"Select Events..." versus "Heading: X°"

Jan Schubert Jan.Schubert at GMX.li
Tue Jan 1 14:45:12 PST 2013

On 12/31/12 00:16, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> On 12/30/2012 10:37 PM, Jan Schubert wrote:
>
>> Then this could be
>> visualized similar to the partial pressure data in subsurface?
>
> Instead of an under-the-mouse popup I would rather recommend to
> designate some text field in the GUI to display whatever details
> are available regarding the current position in the graph.

OK, some fixed placed text box updated "real time" depending on mouse
position?

>> I doubt that the Suunto protocol
>> is giving us this floating deco in the samples
>
> Yes, AFAIK, it doesn't.
>
>> so it would need some magic to show the ceiling
>
> Not only magic, but also science (to compute the decompression model)
> and a violation of some countries copyright laws (as the Suunto DC
> decompression model is most likely proprietary and would need to be
> either reverse-engineered or blatantly copied).
>
> But I guess if subsurface would include any one (or more) reasonable
> decompression model implementation, that would be good enough to
> visualize some ceiling, it could even be educational to the subsurface
> users if they saw that decompression models are what they are - coarse
> approximations based on many assumptions and a little empirical data -
> and not precise computations of one's DCS risk.
>
> And btw.: All mainstream DCs that I know of voluntarily avoid to use
> the more computational intensive decompression models (like VPM-B/E)
> to not drain too much battery power for the model computation.
> (Well, the DR5 dive computer doesn't, but that is certainly not
> mainstream.)
> Subsurface, running usually on some fat CPU, would not need to make
> compromises. It could utilize the most accurate models available so far.
> That would IMHO be better than trying to emulate whatever manufacturer
> specific models are out there.
>
> One could start by porting this open source VPM implementation from Java
> http://webspace.webring.com/people/fv/vpmopen/

Hey, this is really cool and a missing part for our discussion some
weeks ago when we did not found any source code based on VPM models.
Added it to http://trac.hohndel.org/ticket/27

If someone is interested in starting some work on this I'd really
appreciate it. I'd keep this in mind and come back to this in -
hopefully - the near future as dive planning capabilities getting
implemented in subsurface is one of my goals/wishes for 2013 :-).

Thx and all the best to all of you,
Jan