"Select Events..." versus "Heading: X°"

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jan 2 07:04:25 PST 2013

Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> writes:

> On 01/01/2013 11:45 PM, Jan Schubert wrote:
>>> Instead of an under-the-mouse popup I would rather recommend to
>>> designate some text field in the GUI to display whatever details
>>> are available regarding the current position in the graph.
>>
>> OK, some fixed placed text box updated "real time" depending on mouse
>> position?
>
> Yes, that's the idea. Could be updated either on moving inside
> the graph or only when clicking into it.

That takes yet another area of screen away from use - and one of the
design goals of Subsurface is to be useful on rather small screens.

So why I agree that this does sound good when thinking about it, once
you try to implement it (and trust me, I have) it doesn't work so
well. That's why we have the tooltip style floating information field
that gives you "all you ever want to know" about the point in time that
your mouse hovers over...