XML format change

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 08:06:27 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> writes:

>>> One more question about this.
>>>
>>> We have a <divecomputer> tag inside the dive tag. Is there any issue with having a <divecomputer> tag under settings as well or should I give it a unique name (like <divecomputerid>)?
>>
>> You can have multiple tags with same name if you reference them using
>> the parent tag and not wild cards. With the current proposal, if you
>> test with:
>> xpath -e '//divecomputer' <file>
>>
>> you will get the settings and dive samples. //settings/divecomputer
>> would give you only the settings part. So from XML point of view, this
>> will work fine. (I am not sure how these are parsed in Subsurface, but
>> the context should be clear in there as well.)
>>
>> On the other hand, clarity of the XML might become an issue when using
>> same tags on different contexts.
>
> That was my worry. Readability and clarity. So I went with
> <settings>
> <divecomputerid model='' deviceid='' [nickname='']/>
> with the nickname part being optional (and when missing it means there
> is no nickname set, just use the model, as most people with only one
> dive computer won't need a nickname - unless they don't like the long
> name that libdivecomputer assigns. One example might be people with an
> "OSTC" might not want "Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC")

I could use the serial number of the device, preferably in the GUI but
at least in the XML file. Currently I need to report that to Suunto
due to a fault in my device and I would assume I am not the only one
needing the serial number.. (libdivecomputer's universal app did the
trick for me but probably not for the masses starting to use
Subsurface soon :)

miika