XML format change

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 4 08:24:22 PST 2013

On Jan 4, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Miika Turkia wrote:
>> That was my worry. Readability and clarity. So I went with
>> <settings>
>> <divecomputerid model='' deviceid='' [nickname='']/>
>> with the nickname part being optional (and when missing it means there
>> is no nickname set, just use the model, as most people with only one
>> dive computer won't need a nickname - unless they don't like the long
>> name that libdivecomputer assigns. One example might be people with an
>> "OSTC" might not want "Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC")
>
> I could use the serial number of the device, preferably in the GUI but
> at least in the XML file. Currently I need to report that to Suunto
> due to a fault in my device and I would assume I am not the only one
> needing the serial number.. (libdivecomputer's universal app did the
> trick for me but probably not for the masses starting to use
> Subsurface soon :)

Right now our deviceid is a hash of the model, firmware and serial number. Jef had already pointed out that this may be a mistake, given that firmware changes semi-frequently on some devices…

Linus, since we now use <model,deviceid> consistently throughout Subsurface to identify a dive computer, wouldn't it be smarter to switch the deviceid code to simply using the serial number?
Yes, this would create a bit of a mess for the people on this mailing list and their data files, but the large masses of end users using our binaries would benefit from it, I think…