deco calculations

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Jan 4 13:45:43 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at gmx.li> wrote:
> On 01/04/13 07:06, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Ok, here's something new...
>>
>> I took a stab at implementing our own deco calculations.
>
> Really cool, thx a lot. Starting with an overlay to existing dives is
> quite interesting, especially as one can play with the GF settings and
> see the differences in here. In the long run we should add the
> possibility to plan dives and play with even more parameters like gas
> changes.

I think we really want to do dive planning as a normal dive, so that
the plot visualization etc would "just work".

We already have the capability to create new dives with a very basic
profile, if we just added the ability to do gas changes and more
depths etc, that would be good. Then "dive planning" would literally
be about moving the depth markers (and gas changes etc) around, and
seeing how the deco graph changes. No silly textual tables or anything
like that.

Then, to be *really* cool, we can combine such a planned dive with the
actual dive (we'd just make the planning be another "dive computer"),
so you can actually see your planned dive vs your real dive.

Doing the above shouldn't be all that hard from an internal
standpoint, and the only real problem is the GUI part - adding basic
editing capabilities to the dive profile. And that's a real problem.
We don't really have any GUI people.

But it really would be good to be able to edit the dive profile
regardless - we already talked about trying to adding/moving gas
change events with Dirk, because right now at least I have a few dives
where the gas change is missing or in the wrong place. So the "edit
dive profile" isn't actually just about planning - but it would almost
get us planning for free if we did it right.

                 Linus