deco calculations

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 4 14:11:35 PST 2013

Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at gmx.li> wrote:
>> On 01/04/13 07:06, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> Ok, here's something new...
>>>
>>> I took a stab at implementing our own deco calculations.
>>
>> Really cool, thx a lot. Starting with an overlay to existing dives is
>> quite interesting, especially as one can play with the GF settings and
>> see the differences in here. In the long run we should add the
>> possibility to plan dives and play with even more parameters like gas
>> changes.
>
> I think we really want to do dive planning as a normal dive, so that
> the plot visualization etc would "just work".
>
> We already have the capability to create new dives with a very basic
> profile, if we just added the ability to do gas changes and more
> depths etc, that would be good. Then "dive planning" would literally
> be about moving the depth markers (and gas changes etc) around, and
> seeing how the deco graph changes. No silly textual tables or anything
> like that.

I am in the middle of implementing planning. NO UI(tm) at this point.
But exactly based on that idea.

> Then, to be *really* cool, we can combine such a planned dive with the
> actual dive (we'd just make the planning be another "dive computer"),
> so you can actually see your planned dive vs your real dive.

Yep, that's part of what I want to do.

> Doing the above shouldn't be all that hard from an internal
> standpoint, and the only real problem is the GUI part - adding basic
> editing capabilities to the dive profile. And that's a real problem.
> We don't really have any GUI people.

Err - yes. Did I mention NO GUI(tm)?

> But it really would be good to be able to edit the dive profile
> regardless - we already talked about trying to adding/moving gas
> change events with Dirk, because right now at least I have a few dives
> where the gas change is missing or in the wrong place. So the "edit
> dive profile" isn't actually just about planning - but it would almost
> get us planning for free if we did it right.

I am certainly working on the plumbing required behind the creation of
dives. I'll commit something tonight (don't have much time to spend on
this during the day)