first cut of dive planning

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jan 5 09:23:28 PST 2013

Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at GMX.li> writes:

> On 01/05/13 09:03, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>

>>     What is missing is the ability to give the algorithm additional gases that
>>     it can use during the deco phase - right now it simply keeps using the
>>     last gas used in the diveplan.
>
> OK, you mean for calculating the remaining TTS (time to surface)? As
> I've seen I can define different gases for the different segments!?

Yes you can - but look at the example that's in the source right now. It
ascends up to 27m and switches to EAN40 - but then you might have EAN80
with you that you'd like to switch to at the 9m stop.

> BTW, coming back to what is missing: Not to forget the CC part :-)

Of course. Oops.

>> This code does take the ascent into account when calculating deco
>> stops. Let's assume your current ceiling is 12.1m and you are at 36m
>> depth. The next stop would be at 15m. By the time you reach 15m your
>> ceiling has moved up to 11.8m. The code simply keeps going up to the 12m
>> stop in this case.
>
> Just to make sure: There is not (yet) a automated ascend based on a
> maximum ascend speed!?

There is... if you end your dive at 27m (as the example does), the
planner figures out a safe ascend using the pre-defined stop depths when
necessary and ascending with 30ft (9m) per minute between them.

> I just played around and got some funny looking profiles (saw tooth is a
> good description for some of them :-). But I also managed to get a idea
> what is working and that looks promising.

I wonder what you did. Can you post? I want to make sure the algorithms
are sound...