source code may be getting a bit intimidating

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 7 06:55:44 PST 2013

On Jan 6, 2013, at 11:22 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> No, it's not nonsense. I just pushed another largish commit for the dive
>> planning stuff and gtk-gui.c is now approaching 3kloc.
>
> Yeah. But I like the new interactive dive planning a lot more.

Thanks :-)

> However, it looks like it doesn't generate gas-change events? Also, I
> seem to not be able to go shallower. I tried to enter
>
>  150 +5 20/30
>  150 +5 20/30
>  100 +5 20/30
>  100 +1 40
>
> and it works as a profile, but the gas seems to be very confused.

Yes, there are some serious shortcomings still there. I'm surprised you
can't go up at all - that used to work for me (but I didn't test it with the
very last version, I guess).

> Also, it turns out that the "+5" syntax doesn't work any more, and I
> had to change it to be absolute time (so 5, 10, 15, 16 instead of the
> +5's/+1). But the nice thing about it was that the profile BUI now
> *showed* me what the problem was.

What? That definitely worked. Dang.

> But then, when I press "OK", it seems to have gotten the gases under
> control, and the final plan seems to use the right gases, even if it
> doesn't *show* the gas changes.

I don't think it creates gas change events at all. Still missing. Also
still missing is a way to say "I also have these gases". And code that
would switch gases during the ascent. Right now it just keeps the
last gas.

Still work in progress :-)

> Anyway, I don't think it's really wonderful in any "absolute" sense,
> but it's lightyears better than it used to be. Almost usable.

Now there is high praise :-)