Test Planner crash

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 7 08:06:11 PST 2013

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> writes:

> Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>> On 7 January 2013 13:54, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
>> <subsurface at henrik.synth.no>  wrote:
>>> If I start Subsurface with dives/*xml and select Test Planner, it freezes.
>>> Some kind of eternal loop?
>>>

>> i can't reproduce the *.xml loop issue, but the other one is related
>> to test code.
>> it assumes that there are dives already, so that the plan dive is
>> added after all of them.
>> this shouldn't be a problem later on.
>
> Even with only dives/test0.xml loaded it loops around these lines, with
> the same values over and over (according to gdb):
>
> deco_allowed_depth (tissues_tolerance=8.7201164053871253e+256,

Those are some pretty darn tolerant tissues... 8.7 * 10^256 bar is a
rather impressive amount. Significantly more than the weight of the
universe per square milimeter...?

I would make a random guess and say "that's wrong".

> surface_pressure=1.0129999999999999, dive=0x1022b8270, smooth=1) at
> deco.c:292
> 292        while(!below_gradient_limit)
> 294            if (!smooth)
> 297                mydata.pressure += PRESSURE_CHANGE_3M / 30; /* 4in /
> 10cm instead */
> 298            new_gradient_factor =
> gradient_factor_calculation(&mydata);

I'm pretty sure that there is an overflow somewhere with input
parameters this large - and the loop just never finishes (which is
another reason why the analytical approach instead of the iterative
might be better ;-) )