dive planner fixes [was: Re: source code may be getting a bit intimidating]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 7 11:28:25 PST 2013

Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> So there's an oddity that I noticed as well. As you enter the plan it
>> tries to fill things in and so when you add the '+5' the gas for that
>> segment is still unset (and therefore air).
>
> So? None of that matters. I wrote the gas in later. It should have
> noticed that it changed, and recalculated at that point.
>
> If you only recalculate when you see a depth change, that's a *BUG*.

I only recalculate if ANYTHING changes.

And yes, there are LOTS of *BUGS* left. I just saw another one which I
think may be what is causing your problem. Stay tuned.

>> I /REALLY/ want to re-open the conversation about why air has to be
>> special...
>
> This has *nothing* to do with air being special (although it is). I
> had written in the full gas specs. Don't go off on some totally
> irrelevant tangent.

Sorry, Linus. Please take your drugs. I'm not going of on some totally
irrelevant tangent. I am pointing out that there is once again an issue
where I think things get harder because 0/0 is not "unset" but is "gas".