dive planner fixes [was: Re: source code may be getting a bit intimidating]

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Jan 7 14:37:53 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Linus Torvalds

> So what it does now is to use the last valid gas, and complain about
> it, so that the user can fix it. I don't think you can conceptually do
> any better.

Actually, looking at it, it complains a bit too much. It complains
about empty entries too, and it complains in the middle of writing
entries if you are slow or if it's partially matching a pre-existing
entry etc.

So we can definitely conceptually do better, and it's not just about
changing background colors or something like that.

The "empty entry" is a special case (it's not just gases that have it
- you can make it complain about depth etc entries too by just moving
around in the grid) and not complaining about that should be an
obvious thing. The "hmm, you're in the middle of editing it, and
something random made gtk decide to do that focus loss or field change
event" issue is harder to work around.

Maybe the real solution is to just gray out the "Ok" button when there
are incomplete entries. That might be a sufficient visual hint that
something is wrong, while not being extremely annoying (like some
background color change would be) while in the middle of editing the
entries...

                Linus