Graph documentation [was: Re: Meaning of GF settings]

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Tue Jan 8 12:43:56 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 12:32 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at gmx.li> wrote:
> >
> > Just a note: Suunto is not using Bühlmann and GF settings at all but
> > RGBM which has a little different approach and might (!) allow divers
> > surface earlier than Bühlmann in case it thinks there are no
> > (mentionable) bubbles in your tissues
>
> Yeah. In theory. In practice, I have had to turn my Vyper Air to 50%
> RGBM because otherwise it gives me *much* less time under water than
> other dive computers.
>
> Of course, it might well be that it's much more conservative at depth,
> and much less so in the shallow areas. But judging from my trimix
> dives, the HelO2 (which doesn't have that 50% RGBM mode, but seems to
> then act similar to the Vyper Air *with* that mode enabled) wanted
> longer deco stops than any of the dive computers Dirk was diving.
>
> So at least from personal experience, Suunto computers tend to be more
> conservative than most. And that's what the general rumor mill says
> too.
>
> I do wonder if the issue is that you didn't do the 3-minute safety
> stop *after* the deco stop, and the Suunto really wants you to.

We did it on the first dive (#8) but it's still violating the ceiling.

> My Suunto's often give an additional 3-minute safety stop after the
> deco is over (*), and we laugh at it when it does that ("It gave us a

> (*) To make it worse, it doesn't seem to give it immediately. You can
> have waited for your 10" ceiling to clear, and the computer doesn't
> say anything, and then ten seconds later it says "Oh, do a 3-minute
> safety stop too".

Seems to be depending on the computer as according to the documentation
and my experience (*), it does on the vyper.

(*) On dive #9, we had the mandatory deco stop that we broke when there
was less than 3min left to do, the computer did not complain nor went
into error (as he did for dive #11).

Pierre