Graph documentation [was: Re: Meaning of GF settings]

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Jan 8 12:51:05 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> wrote:

> Attached is the whole trip, the dive #11 was more surprising for me. As
> my computer was being so conservative the divemaster pretty much decided
> to ignore it (at his discharge, mine was giving me 11min of deco while
> his was still at deco - 2 min).

I really would trust my dive computer more than pretty much any dive
master, so next time, feel free to just stay underwater.

That said, Suunto's *do* get conservative, especially for repeated
dives. So I can also imagine that the dive master just went "Oh gods,
another suunto diver, I'm bored and hungry, let's go up".

But I seriously doubt anybody would be upset if you just said "No, my
computer says three minutes more, I'll stay down here for three
minutes". It's just good practice, and the dive master knows it.

> I was actually surprise not to see the last /!\ turning red or a warning
> being printed that I should not dive for at least 24h (if current
> date/time < dive date/time + 24h). That might be an interesting feature
> to add.

Divers *hate* getting locked out. Most dive computers won't actually
lock you out unless you've done something really really bad. I suspect
there's some "oops, you broke the last ceiling, but it was so close
that we won't do anything".

It probably would have penalized the next dive had you done one, though.

                Linus