Odd calculated deco "ripples" (was Re: RFC: color change for calculated deco)

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sun Jan 13 21:31:30 PST 2013

On Jan 14, 2013, at 1:50 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

Good morning!

> Anybody who as a 32-bit build environment all set, and willing to just
> do a search-and-replace of "double" with "long double" in the deco
> code? Do the ripples go away?

I just checked, I have lost my account at the Max Planck Institute where that might have been possible.

In any case, I would be very surprised if floating point noise is responsible for this as it is too regular (and as you point out likely to be related to the sample rate).

My plan is to devote my lunch break to this. Currently my money is on a problem either with plotting or with the calling pattern (maybe add_segment() is not really called once of every second of the dive but for those seconds that hit a sample point or something similar?!?).

Do you see this just for trimix dives or for nitrox ones as well?

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
    stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de