Gconf or GSettings? - leading to a wider question

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 06:39:42 PST 2013

On 19 January 2013 10:56, Amit Chaudhuri <amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Two different lines of though bring me to ask the same question.  Namely,
> why does subsurface use Gtk2 and not the newer version?

i've heard that gtk3 uses cairo and the widget rendering is very unoptimized.
also that their API changes so often that your application may not run
between minor updates.

what i can say for certain is that there is no official GTK3 for
windows, which makes it non-portable.

> The most recent trigger was a quick look at GconfClient usage within the
> current code.  Docs pretty quickly lead you to things implying
> deprecation/migration to GSettings etc.
>
> I have no particular axe to grind here, but ** if ** there is a plan to
> adopt the newer technology it would be as well to be aware.  Likewise, if
> the project is avoiding same for good reason....

honestly the configuration should be "configuration library agnostic"...
but also using platform specific methods isn't exactly a good call
either (windows registry).
subsurface already uses a library and format that is so often used for
configuration and that is libxml / xml.
there isn't a requirement to store megabytes worth of information, but
only 30 entries or so...
and given the nature of the software it can hardly grow to a 100.
if a lot of data has to be stored, it can be in binary using different logic.

but using platform specific methods to load these 30 entries is a bad
call, while libxml is portable.
everything else can end up as a difficult to maintain overhead.

lubomir