Gconf or GSettings? - leading to a wider question

Amit Chaudhuri amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 10:38:46 PST 2013

..thanks all  or the orientation on Gtk3...

I quite enjoy coding with Qt, so the idea of using it to target multiple
platforms has a real appeal for me compared to learning Gtk2+, particularly
if that is heading for deprecation and it's successorhas material
weaknesses in that area.

Things like saving persistent settings across sessions certainly look
easier in Qt; I can easily imagine code coming out of <platform.c>s in that
space.

>From my own point of view, the widget which looks hardest to code in Qt is
the plot of the dive.  The rest is pretty routine.

If one were to look at moving to a new GUI toolkit, how would the
transition look? I imagine there's a run up to be planned in and I can't
see mixing toolkits as an option.  But if we have more Qt programmers than
Gtk talent around.........maybe it's worth serious consideration

I might have a look at the dive plot code to see if I can get somewhere
similar in Qt...