Plans [was: Re: Gconf or GSettings? - leading to a wider question]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jan 20 20:30:18 PST 2013

On Jan 20, 2013, at 6:19 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2013, at 5:51 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Based on the theory that a really lame implementation will motivate others to do things better, I just pushed a truly silly implementation for fixing the map behavior.
>>
>> I think your italics thing is ok, but it doesn't fix the fact that the
>> osm maps are totally unusable.
>>
>> They do entirely insane things when you touch the scroll-wheel. I
>> can't even figure out *what* they do. It's not a "zoom", it's
>> something like "zoom and translate into hyperspace". It takes you
>> outside the map, entirely, with no way to get back.
>
> It's a feature. It simulates narcosis…

Fuck me.

It /IS/ a feature. Even announced as such:

  Changes in 0.7.3
  * When using the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in, centre on the mouse pointer
    (as recommended by the HIG)

Not only that, it's NOT CONFIGURABLE!!!

https://github.com/nzjrs/osm-gps-map/commit/8eefcecdd21c810d0a8afdecd1ad08f5646b9253

What drugs are these people taking???

Anyway - I'm now intercepting the scroll-event and preventing the insane default implementation from f*cking things up.

At least brain dead lunacy like this can be worked around…