Plans [was: Re: Gconf or GSettings? - leading to a wider question]

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Jan 20 20:55:04 PST 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Linus Torvalds

> And the osm widget doesn't do that. I don't have a f*cking clue what
> it *does* do, though, although I have a random guess. It does some
> entirely odd translation crap. It seems to translate the center of the
> map (*NOT* the mouse position) to the geographic location where the
> mouse pointer was pointing,

Yup. Verified by zooming *very* carefully just one click at a time.
For each mousewheel click (and remember: people don't use mouse-wheels
like a normal button, so a *single* click is unlikely), it will take
the geographical position that the mouse was over, move that to the
center of the map window (not where the mouse is), and then zoom
around *that* center place.

So I can see *what* the crazy thing is doing. I can't see *why*. That
is *not* sane behavior, and it is *not* even what the HIG you quoted
in their changelog said. You're supposed to center on the mouse
button, not on the stupid "center mark" on the map.

But it does explain why every time I touch the mouse wheel, I end up
in Alpha Centauri instead of on a dive site.

                 Linus