Plans [was: Re: Gconf or GSettings? - leading to a wider question]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 21 06:57:33 PST 2013

On Jan 21, 2013, at 2:07 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:

> Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Linus Torvalds<torvalds at linux-foundation.org>  writes:

>>> I see that you tried to fix it.
>>
>> No, I didn't. I basically reverted their code back to what they did
>> prior to the commit I linked to. I didn't even attempt to do mouse
>> centric scrolling.
>>
>> What I was trying to do was to get it to do something sane and
>> consistent. That I think I did.
>
> It works perfectly for me, the scroll-to-zoom does exactly what I want it too.   That said, I wasn't very confused by the previous zoom implementation either, because it mimics the way http://maps.google.com does it.  But I like this better anyway.

No, the maps.google.com implementation is correct - it doesn't "keep traveling" like the osmgpsmap implementation does.
But playing with it some more, what I did is indeed the behavior that I think makes more sense for us as we center the map around the dive site. So zooming in and out around the dive site is much more natural.

> I also like that you add new pointers to the map as more dive locations are shown.

I am actually thinking about going down to just one map and adding all dive locations the first time it's opened. Simply open it in "whole world" view if opened from the top menu and zoomed/centered around a dive site when opened from the context menu.
Also, reading the docs when trying to figure out how to change the scroll behavior I realized that it would be really easy to add "pick dive site on map" capability to this… any volunteers to implement that?