Plans [was: Re: Gconf or GSettings? - leading to a wider question]

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Jan 21 13:25:06 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Well, the code doesn't make my eyes bleed and it is once again an
> improvement compared to what we had - for the world view case. For the
> dive site display I actually PREFER what I implemented. If I show the
> map for the dive site and decide to zoom in or out... /I/ certainly want
> this to zoom around the dive site, not around where my mouse happens to
> be.
>
> What do others think? What do you think, Linus? Should we use your code
> for the world map and mine for the dive sites?

What might be interesting is to consider the "single gps point" case
to be the special case.

And in fact, we could make something very special for that case, and
always center the GPS point at the mouse. In fact, even with multiple
GPS points, it would be good to try to find the nearest. From my own
usage, I think one common thing to do is to move the mouse "over" a
GPS point and then zoom in on it, but because the mouse wasn't really
exactly at the GPS point, when you zoom in too far you actually lose
sight of the GPS point.

So if there is some way to see the GPS points associated with a map,
then the current:

    osm_gps_map_convert_screen_to_geographic(map, event->x, event->y, pt);

call could be followed by a "look up the closest GPS point to 'pt' and
use the geographic location for *that* instead.

With a single GPS point, it would basically be the same as always
zooming in on that point (except it wouldn't be the *center* that
zooms in, but the mouse location). With multiple GPS points it would
be a good way to zoom in on one of them.

I don't know how to get the list of GPS points from the OsmGpsMap, though.

                Linus