slowly getting ready for 3.0

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:31:23 PST 2013

On 23 January 2013 23:48, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> While it's going to be at least a couple more weeks, I want to continue
> to remind people that this is where we are going. I expect to freeze
> strings in a week or so and push out updates to the .po files (and no,
> please don't run those Makefile targets yourself - they create a ton of
> noise and I really would prefer to do this myself) and ask for
> translations to be updated.
>
> In the meantime I did a quick teaser post on subsurface.hohndel.org and
> would like people to take a look and to report back what the new
> features are that we should be listing. What's your favorite new thing?
> Am I missing something that should be listed? Am I listing something
> that should be dropped?
>
> Everyone should start testing "for real" now. Reimport your dives. Edit
> the divelist. Play with the test dives. Play with the dive planner. Try
> to find inconsistencies. Try to break things...
>
> Lubomir and Henrik - please beat on the Windows and Mac ports as
> well. My feeling is that we have a lot more people testing and building
> on Linux than the other two platforms.

i got you covered at the windows part of things.

i've been maintaining an attempting-stable-nightly build at:
https://github.com/neolit123/subsurface_win32

for almost a year...

> I'm still undecided whether to include the webservice in 3.0 or whether
> to comment it out until after the release. I think what I implemented
> this morning is useful and unlikely to break things too badly, but from
> what the logfile is showing me no one else even tried it... and that
> makes me quite nervous. If we do decide to include it we need to figure
> out how to post the companion app and how to deal with the auth token
> handling.

depends on the actual web part of the webservice i guess...i'm ok to
work on the C part of things.

i ended up with the impression that i've tried your patch, but mind
that i may be seeing things (tired as f*ck).
it does seems like good solution, code wise.

minor patches are not so much of a trouble if we have to advertise the
product twice in regard of fixing issues _all the time_ and it isn't
that bad either.
weekly fixes and updates are not bad at all.

i pretty much type "package" in the console and have a windows build
available at github.
its all automated...

> Everything else should now focus on stabilization. Linus is cleaning up
> the multi divecomputer code and (hopefully) the config code. I'm going
> through all the new modules (deco, planning, maps, etc) doing another
> round of code review and manual bug spotting. On my todo list is also
> another round of static code analysis...
>
> If you have anything that you want to go in before 3.0... now is the
> time to speak up.

i really like for us to move away from platform specific configuration
storage, its a bad decision - all should be XML or some other format
in a local user folder.
perhaps for the next official build.

lubomir