slowly getting ready for 3.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jan 24 13:42:58 PST 2013

Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at GMX.li> writes:

> On 01/23/13 23:31, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>> On 23 January 2013 23:48, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Lubomir and Henrik - please beat on the Windows and Mac ports as
>> > well. My feeling is that we have a lot more people testing and building
>> > on Linux than the other two platforms.
>> >

>> i got you covered at the windows part of things.
>>
>> i've been maintaining an attempting-stable-nightly build at:
>> https://github.com/neolit123/subsurface_win32
>>
>> for almost a year...
>
> Oh, thx Lubomir, this is really cool and I'd suggest to drop a note
> about this onto the subsurface page(s). Will do this on Facebook in the
> next days...

No, please don't. We do releases for a reason. Yes, I have made a
relatively carefully selected and tested specific developer build
available in the oast, but in general I don't want unsuspecting end
users play with nightly builds. This will create a perception of
instability and might even force us to be backward compatible to
development builds that contain design decisions that we later revert
on.

Which reminds me - someone with better Makefile foo than I have could do
me a favor and create a rule that allows us to have the git SHA as part
of the version number of any non-release build - so that the About
window would clearly show you you are running a development version.

Something like

Subsurface v2.1

for the release but then

Subsurface post-v2.1 developer build SHA 208820c778f0

for anything after that...