New webservice API

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jan 27 12:25:22 PST 2013

On Jan 27, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Robert C. Helling wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2013, at 6:14 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I there anyone here who writes iPhone apps who could contribute a similar app for iPhone users?
>
> I have no experience with this whatsoever (except having the O'Reilly IOs-Programming book for several weeks on my bedside table without reading it). But I would still consider the camera app  sufficient: With pictures it takes it takes a time stamp (obviously) but also records gps coordinates.

Well, it's missing the easy ability to name the dive site (which is the other thing the companion app does). But of course if you are on one of the boats where they write the dive site name on a white board together with a crude drawing of what to expect under water, then that is a brilliant solution to the problem!

> I have a script (not yet in a state to be shown around) that reads this information from image files and adds the coordinates to dives in the xml with a timestamp not too far away. Equally, a script could upload this information to the web service (although that sounds very roundabout). Or the websevice could accept images send by email with, say the user code in the subject, and use that data as if it were supplied via the api.

Accepting images by email does seem a bit crazy. It would be much simpler to have Subsurface be able to import images and extract GPS info and match things based on time stamps...

> BTW it will also (for pictures taken between start and end of dive) create "image" events in the xml that could show thumbnails in the pop-up.

Cute! I like it. But I bet that those images won't have valid GPS data :-) :-)

> What do you think?

I think that both of these things (ability to extract GPS data from EXIF and "image" events) are useful extensions. Depending on how quickly you have code for this I may push this out past the Subsurface 3.0 release, but either way, I think those are good ideas.