Subsurface meetup [was Re: GPS location map input]

David Tillotson david at acmelabs.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 04:07:47 PST 2013

Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at GMX.li> wrote:

>On 01/30/13 08:17, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
>>

>> Den 30. jan. 2013 01:56 skrev "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org
>> <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> følgende:
>> > We do need to figure out a way to get the main Subsurface
>developers
>> > together - which most likely will have to be in Europe since that's
>> > where everyone but Linus and me seems to be.
>> >
>> > We'll be in Edinburgh in late October... maybe we can do a quick
>dive
>> > trip as part of that and all get together? Does that sound
>interesting
>> > to people?
>>
>> I'm in!
>>

>Given the fact the Empire plans to leave the European Union and it's a
>little bit at the edge of the continent, we could try to find a more
>central European spot :-)
>Would it be a good idea to mark everyones location (in a subsurface XML
>
>f.i.) and then weight in good diving locations!? Weighting in Dirk and
>Linus as well we will most likely end up in a place outside Europe but
>at least with lots of water around it....
>
>Anyway, we should find a place where someone of us is familiar with and
>
>might be able to organize support, tanks, gases.
>
>What about a fair!?
>- Boot, Düsseldorf, January (just happened for this year), one of
>worlds
>largest diving related fair, maybe we could also get a small booth for
>free presenting subsurfae (and LDC and more diving related OSS)
>- CeBit, Hannover, March - worlds largest computer fair (?), there are
>for sure free booths available for OSS projects, might be to late for
>this year
>
>Should be possible to find some more. I'd offer to serve at such a
>booth
>for some days...
>
>Just some thoughts, would also like to see some of you guys personally.
>
>Scotland should be OK for me, would be nice to be ale to have some
>dives
>there and having someone showing us the best spots.
>
>Dirk, what is the reason for you to be in Edinburgh? Would this be
>something interessting for others also where we could also attend?
>
>Thx,
>Jan

As a fairly new diver in the Edinburgh area, I can definitely agree with the comments in favour of this area ;-)
While I haven't been too active on the list (my coding skills are far too feeble), I'd be happy to sort out a trip out of Eyemouth. As yet, I haven't had the time to make any of my club trips out there, but can certainly get plenty of details of guides, boats etc.