dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jan 30 21:08:13 PST 2013
I think we are closing the gaps towards being able to release 3.0.
- I think the gps / map functionality is good enough for a first public
release; it's not great, yet (osm-gps-map has its issues), but at
least we can visualize gps locations and have a means to enter them,
- The Companion App is getting closer - I feel more comfortable now with
the latest changes I just pushed to keep that functionality in; there
is some more polish needed, but overall things work ok-ish.
- Lots of little bugs have been fixed - we really need to get into an
intense testing phase now as I am sure there are a ton of bugs still
What I still expect to happen before 3.0
- the issue with the interaction of keyboard and mouse needs to be
solved one way or another. I really like the way the cursor keys work
now, but there has to be a way to either turn off the enter
functionality to select a dive or to fix it.
- there are tons of little usability glitches. Everyone can help here -
even if you don't know how to program. Play with loading different
files, editing dives, deleting things, adding things, removing trips,
playing with dive plans, etc.
- there are still lots of places that aren't sufficiently aware of
multiple divecomputers. In a way that's no big deal as most sane
people have only one dive computer they download from - still, there
is a lot of low hanging fruit out there.
- the documentation urgently needs work. So much has changed since this
was written and decent documentation is one of the key success factors
for an application like Subsurface.
VOLUNTEERS URGENTLY NEEDED. SERIOUSLY. Anyone can help here.
- in a day or two I'll update the strings and will ask the translators
to start working on that.
What I really want to see fixed but doubt it will happen for 3.0
- we need in-place editing. Having to double-click on the divelist or
right-click and select edit is INSANE. And many new users cannot
figure out how to do that and give up on Subsurface :-(
Am I missing anything?
Any volunteers to work on the documentation?
More information about the subsurface