Towards 3.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jan 30 21:08:13 PST 2013

I think we are closing the gaps towards being able to release 3.0.

- I think the gps / map functionality is good enough for a first public
  release; it's not great, yet (osm-gps-map has its issues), but at
  least we can visualize gps locations and have a means to enter them,
  too.
- The Companion App is getting closer - I feel more comfortable now with
  the latest changes I just pushed to keep that functionality in; there
  is some more polish needed, but overall things work ok-ish.
- Lots of little bugs have been fixed - we really need to get into an
  intense testing phase now as I am sure there are a ton of bugs still
  hiding.

What I still expect to happen before 3.0

- the issue with the interaction of keyboard and mouse needs to be
  solved one way or another. I really like the way the cursor keys work
  now, but there has to be a way to either turn off the enter
  functionality to select a dive or to fix it.
- there are tons of little usability glitches. Everyone can help here -
  even if you don't know how to program. Play with loading different
  files, editing dives, deleting things, adding things, removing trips,
  playing with dive plans, etc.
- there are still lots of places that aren't sufficiently aware of
  multiple divecomputers. In a way that's no big deal as most sane
  people have only one dive computer they download from - still, there
  is a lot of low hanging fruit out there.
- the documentation urgently needs work. So much has changed since this
  was written and decent documentation is one of the key success factors
  for an application like Subsurface.
  VOLUNTEERS URGENTLY NEEDED. SERIOUSLY. Anyone can help here.
- in a day or two I'll update the strings and will ask the translators
  to start working on that.

What I really want to see fixed but doubt it will happen for 3.0

- we need in-place editing. Having to double-click on the divelist or
  right-click and select edit is INSANE. And many new users cannot
  figure out how to do that and give up on Subsurface :-(

Am I missing anything?

Any volunteers to work on the documentation?