New member

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 21:11:15 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Larry A. Thiel <lthiel at mchsi.com> wrote:

>  I wrote a program in 1988 called Dive-In which ran in MSDOS.  I did it
> for the same reasons Linus wanted this, nothing available at the time would
> do.  I have been using it still today but for various reasons would like to
> convert my logs (782 dives plus other info) into SubSurface.  I have been
> working on exporting the data but still have a lot to do.

Glad to see new blood on the team, especially people who are willing to
contribute!

> I joined this mail list as I could find no user forums in which to ask
> questions about usage that the documentation does not appear to cover.  But
> it looks like the purpose of this list is almost exclusively about
> development and bug fixing.  Useful and I will try to participate if
> appropriate, but I suspect you folks may not want to be bothered by my
> current questions.  Is there a better place for end user questions?

Feel free to use the mailing list for usage and documentation as well. I
would call any subsurface related discussion as relevant to the list. The
fact that the most active people happen to be developers and tend to
discuss that on the list should not prevent discussion about other
important aspects (of which user documentation / usage is one example and
those have been discussed on the list as well).

We do also use IRC to some extent for communication (#subsurface on
Freenode).

Third option is bug tracking system (http://trac.hohndel.org/), but that is
probably a wrong channel for this...

> BTW, SubSurface has features that Dive-In does not but Dive-In also has
> features seemingly absent from SubSurface.  If anyone is interested, I
> could share some of that or provide a short list of questions though they
> are not about the code or bugs as of yet.

We are interested. A good place to start is this mailing list and possibly
a feature request or two on the bug tracker as well.

miika