#160: Printing

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Tue Jul 9 09:02:23 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 9 July 2013 18:43, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> create

> means

> > I'm a bit lost here because I never printed anything till today - but
> let's
> > discuss this a bit:
> > why a separate print dialog is needed before the OS one is called? is
> that
> > because we need
> > to do a 'page setup' before?
> > if so, there's a QPageSetupDialog for that.
> > http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qpagesetupdialog.html
> >

> we pretty much had this in GTK (see attachment).
> so i drew the conclusion that a separate dialog is needed for the
> application specific settings.
>
> QPageSetupDialog seems to be the standard (native) page setup that most OS
> have?

Yes, that.

We can also disable the QPrintDialog and do our own dialog that setups the
printer,
I think this is what most ( not just Qt apps ) apps do on windows ( adobe
apps are
way different than corel, that are way different than firefox, etc.
everything is a bit different
and nobody uses the default printer anyhow. )

A Easy way is to 'hijack' the QPrinterDialog for unix, fork it, and made it
default for every other system.

Tomaz