#160: Printing

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jul 9 11:13:46 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 11:04 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> >> What's missing till now dirk?
> >> Printing,
> >> Dive Planner,
> >> Tags,
> >> ?
> >

> > What's in the bugs :-)
> > A working Windows build.
> > A ton of testing.
> > Updates documentation.
> > Right before release, a new tutorial video.
>
> For me, the big downside remains all the things that the Qt branch
> already *does*, but does much worse.

Yes.

> I'm still hung up on the equipment editing, for example. It's so
> horribly much worse than the gtk branch that it's not even funny.
> Editing people doesn't give me suggestions, and editing locations lost
> both the suggestions and the auto-filling of the GPS data. And that's
> *not* about the multi-dive edit issue, these are all very much true
> for just editing a single dive.
>
> Even the "much improved" dive notes editing is annoying. The "just
> edit in place" may be a more intuitive interface, but try this: go to
> a dive that has long dive notes, and use the scroll-wheel to scroll
> through them. Yeah, that's not good.

Can you just file bugs on those things? Random comments in random
threads easily get lost...

> So the Qt branch has a *much* nicer map. But the big downsides aren't
> the missing features, but the basic functionality of many things that
> is just much weaker. I'm not sure why the Qt combo-boxes are so
> inferior to the gtk ones, or why basic things like just the sizing of
> entries is apparently impossible.

I'm quite puzzled by the issues we have with the combo-boxes as well.
I've looked at lots of other Qt programs before starting this porting
endeavor and didn't run into UI issues that stood out as "umm, that's
inferior". :-(