Two crashed

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Thu Jun 6 01:34:31 PDT 2013

On 06.06.2013, at 02:59, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

Good morning everybody,

> I wonder how this can turn into a NULL dereference... rootItem should
> always be set, and if parent is valid, wouldn't the internalPointer be
> valid, too?

here is an update: First of all, the crash from clicking buttons in the preferences dialog does not happen anymore, it was fixed by

commit 6f7e13ac70499ccc74ecf9d03aea65883f530b5c
Author: Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org>
Date:   Thu Jun 6 11:22:08 2013 +0900

    Try to get rid of unnecessary reloads of the dive list

    Don't call refreshDisplay() after preferences change. This strangely
    somehow leads to a situation where I need to move the mouse over the dive
    list before changes to the units are reflected.

    When calling reload() do not force layout change / resort unless that is
    the intention.

FYI undoing that patch and running subsurface in gdb (as suggested on IRC last night) gives

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x000000000000010e
0x0000000100084d38 in QListData::size (this=0x10e) at qlist.h:98
98	    inline int size() const { return d->end - d->begin; }
(gdb) l
93	    void **prepend();
94	    void **insert(int i);
95	    void remove(int i);
96	    void remove(int i, int n);
97	    void move(int from, int to);
98	    inline int size() const { return d->end - d->begin; }
99	    inline bool isEmpty() const { return d->end  == d->begin; }
100	    inline void **at(int i) const { return d->array + d->begin + i; }
101	    inline void **begin() const { return d->array + d->begin; }
102	    inline void **end() const { return d->array + d->end; }
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb) p d
Cannot access memory at address 0x10e

I cannot say if the problem is really fixed or just the symptom is no longer present.

There is still a hang when opening a file choicer. Here, gdb says:

Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
startkdeinitlock(54370)/KSharedDataCache ensureFileAllocated: This system misses support for posix_fallocate() -- ensure this partition has room for at least 10547296 bytes.
startkdeinitlock(54370)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen" not found!

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x0000000000000000
0x000000010fc89e85 in KFileDialog::KFileDialog ()
(gdb) QIODevice::setTextModeEnabled: The device is not open
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
klauncher(54375) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!

Does this simply mean that the file chooser is not implemented, yet?

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
   stupid .sig\n";    http://www.atdotde.de