irda on mac

William Perry wmperry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 11:33:46 PDT 2013

I'm giving serious thought to picking up a Raspberry Pi and a case and just having a daemon that notices when the galileo comes within range, downloads the data, and emails a binary dump or a UDDF file to me for importing on my Mac.  Would certainly be cheaper than buying a new dive computer.  Are there any other computers that libdivecomputer supports that do NOT work on the mac where something like this might be useful?

Massimiliano - if you do try to go the linux virtual machine route I would be VERY interested in your results.  I tried this last month with 4 different irda adapters using VMWare Fusion, VirtualBox, and Parallels using both Fedora and Ubuntu with no joy.  But running the same Ubuntu / libdivecomputer builds on a physical machine worked just fine, and using my normal irda adapter in a Windows VM worked as well.  If you can get it working in a VM, it would point to something screwy on my machine - I had drivers for this irda adapter installed ages ago, wondering if some remnant of that is screwing things up for me.

-bill