Questions regarding asciidoc requirement to compile/install

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jun 10 17:04:19 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 01:23 +0200, stebs at gmx.de wrote:
> For the Qt Branch, make aborts because I do not have asciidoc installed.
> The problem about this is: on my relatively fresh installed Ubuntu
> (actually Xubuntu), "sudo apt-get install asciidoc" wants to install a
> whopping 1 GB of packages needed for ascidoc:

Woot. Only a Gigabyte...

> > Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
> >   asciidoc dblatex docbook-dsssl docbook-utils docbook-xsl
> > fonts-lmodern fonts-texgyre jadetex latex-beamer latex-xcolor
> >   libgraphite3 libosp5 libostyle1c2 libptexenc1 libruby1.9.1
> > libsgmls-perl libsp1c2 libyaml-0-2 lmodern luatex lynx
> >   lynx-cur openjade pgf preview-latex-style prosper ps2eps ruby
> > ruby1.9.1 sgmlspl sp tcl8.6 tex-common tex-gyre texlive
> >   texlive-base texlive-bibtex-extra texlive-binaries texlive-common
> > texlive-doc-base texlive-extra-utils
> >   texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-recommended
> > texlive-fonts-recommended-doc texlive-generic-recommended
> >   texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-base-doc texlive-latex-extra
> > texlive-latex-extra-doc texlive-latex-recommended
> >   texlive-latex-recommended-doc texlive-luatex texlive-math-extra
> > texlive-pictures texlive-pictures-doc texlive-pstricks
> >   texlive-pstricks-doc tipa tk8.6 ttf-marvosym xmlto xsltproc
> > 0 aktualisiert, 62 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht
> > aktualisiert.
> > Es müssen noch 678 MB von 678 MB an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.
> > Nach dieser Operation werden 1.064 MB Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
> Imho that is a bit of overkill (I just want to try the dev-versions out
> of curiosity)...
> So maybe when asciidoc is not installed, there should be simply a
> warning and subsurface should compile without local documentation?

At this stage the Qt version is not well enough tested (nor is it
feature complete) so I don't think this really is useful for anyone
except for the people working on the code.

Yes, possibly we could make asciidoc optional, but frankly, we have
intentionally decided not to make things optional. My though is that
we'll have the docs simply included in the built version, but I don't
want to walk away from the need to have a complete set of tools and
components.