language selection in Windows

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 08:27:40 PDT 2013

On 18 June 2013 18:01, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

>>> a UI preference is definitely better. it could use the locale language
>>> until the user picks a new one from an #ifdef section of the settings
>>> dialog, as this is only needed on Windows..
>>> for that we have to grab the list of folder names in share/locale, but
>>> the list may still look a bit weird without aliases. e.g. it_IT ->
>>> Italian.
>>
>> We should be able to just add the xx_YY -> text conversion somewhere in
>> our preprocessing
>>
>> /D

> Just a quickie, I don't think this is needed only for windows.
> for example, I'm trying to learn french, so everything in my computer
> is french - but sometimes I cant understand something and like to do a
> quick language change. this is appreciated in other SO's as well.

in any OS this will probably require application restart, because
that's how gettext works AFAIK. while on windows the variable will
exist only for the application session (e.g. started from a desktop
shortcut), i'm not sure how well will that work on unix-like, as for
example we may have to store/override/restore environment variables
like $LANG/$LANGUAGE, but then if the user starts subsurface like:

subbsurface&

said terminal will remain with a modified variable if i'm not
mistaken, which may be a bit intrusive?

lubomir