Visual Dive Planner

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 20 21:14:49 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 21:56 -0300, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> So, I don't know how many of you are on IRC but today Dirk and I
> started discussing about one thing that I really wanted to do for
> subsurface - a Graphical Editor.
> it already plots and manipulates data, but it doesn't yet generates
> the dive - I need a bit of help ( the functions where I need help are
> overly well documented on what I need. )
> if you wanna get the code to test, fix bugs and help me a bit with
> ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.
>
> https://github.com/tcanabrava/subsurface/commits/divePlannerTry3
>
> to test, go to view, Dive Planner.

I think this is a great starting point. There clearly is a lot more to
be done but I think this will be a killer feature if we get the details
right.

> Do not complain that no dive appear after hitting 'ok' - I know that :)
> it's just the *visual interaction* for now.

So for the visual interaction, as I mentioned on IRC:

- I'd love there to be a sticky grid, i.e. 1m/5ft increments, 1min
increments
- depth should have NO DECIMALS at all
- the dive should start at depth 0 / time 0
- start out with enough space for 50m / 150ft and 60min
- offer a "+10m/30ft" button and a "+10min" button so people can go
deeper / longer

I will look into hooking this up so it allows us to actually create a
dive :-)