Graphical Planner - almost ready for use.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jun 28 03:06:12 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 09:21 +0200, Robert Helling wrote:
> On 28.06.2013, at 08:46, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
>
> > Nice work!  It's still far away from "ready for use", though:
> >

> Indeed, very nice!
>
> But I would like to contribute to wish list mode as well: (and I support all of Hendrik's points)
> > * It's not possible to expand beyond 40m.
> > * There's no way to input gases.  We need to be able to manually edit which gases we want for each depth.
> > * We also need to be able to specify available gases, and the planner should also be able to use them automatically.

Yes to all these

> > * Each depth point needs to have a mouseover telling the exact gas, time, depth, and other data.

That's one way to do it. Or we could have a list created while the
points are added - and then could that list to enter the other data as
well.

> > * It's possible to create weird graphs, see http://imgbin.ca/image.php?di=H77M

that looks like a fun dive indeed.
How did you do that?

> > * It should be possible to save the plan, and the plan details (as text) should go into the dive notes
> > * We need to be able to input GFlow/high, dive and deco SAC and surface pressure somewhere
> > * CC setpoints were available in the Gtk version, it should be here as well.

Yes

> > * The +time / +depth buttons doesn't work

known

> > * It would be nice to see the full textual dive plan (in the notes, or as a separate widget) when editing.  It's what tec divers are used to see.
> > * When the dive planner is enabled, it's not possible to "go back" to see the regular dives

All viable concerns

> * When in planner, a new dive should be opened, the notes should not display the last selected dive.

Yes. BTW: the same code is also supposed to be used for manually
entering a dive - so I want to make sure that the maintab widget can be
used when we are in "add dive" mode to complete all the data for the
dive.
And in dive plan mode adding the gases as cylinders would be useful for
gas planning as well.

> * Bright green is not my favorite color, and we might use the color of above the graph for something else (e.g. gas used (with RGB representing O2, N2, and He ;-) )

Yikes. No. Definitely no.

> * We could have more features of the dive profile graph: Line colors for ascent/descent speed, deco ceiling etc

I think that would be distracting and not really all that useful

> * I would still like to see the "Robert falls to target depth and stays there" way of adding points, maybe double click with shift pressed?

Maybe even make that the default (as I can see how some people might
like it - and it would be quite convenient for people who just want to
manually add a dive) and do the current one as the shift-double-click

> * The map does not make sense for a planned dive. We could use that
> space for widgets to set/display parameters of the plan (like Hendrik
> mentioned: gases, GF's, ascent/descent speeds, SAC, set points etc)

That was my thinking as well - except that I want the gases in the
maintab.

> * There seems to be a problem with deco upon moving waypoints: Create a
> two waypoint dive: one at 2min/30m, the other at 10min/30m. As expected
> there is no deco. Now move the second to 36m/30min, you get a decent
> deco. Then move back the second point to 30m/10min. The last generated
> stop at 3m is not removed.

Yes, I noticed some oddities with the deco calculation. My guess is that
I'm not clearing all data correctly between calls...

> * It should be possible to zoom in the planner. Currently the scale is
> determined by the requirement that the dive just fits the window. This
> leads to unexpected jumps when moving points and the deco time changes
> significantly.

Yes - I'm not happy with the current behavior. I tried to improve it
yesterday but it's still way too 'jumpy'. Maybe we should not
automatically zoom at all and rely on the user to zoom instead...

> * I have the suspicion that some users will expect an imperial units version of the planner.

You bet. All in good time.

> I hope I will have time to attack some of these points myself. But this
> weekend is expected to be quite busy (Tomorrow is my daughter's first
> birthday), so I cannot promise much.

Yeah, getting some help would be extremely welcome. Most work these days
is done by Tomaz. I chime in when I have time (and I'm excited to see
Lubomir and some other "old timers" are starting to send patches as
well, including our overlord...), but fundamentally unless all of us get
back in the habit of submitting patches and helping to make Subsurface
better we won't have achieved our fundamental goal for the Qt migration.

When we discussed this the consensus was that people hated trying to
write UIs in Gtk. We now have a much nicer environment for UI work - and
an expert here (or three) to help and guide us. But all of us need to
work together to make this the killer app that we want.